Tuesday, August 16, 2011

2011-12 Here We Come!

I feel like I start my welcome back letter in the same way each year.  I can never believe that it is already the beginning of a new school year, but at the same time, I'm always extremely excited.  I feel the same way again this year (with even more excitement than usual).  I've already planned several fun projects for the year with even more to come.

There are several familiar names on my class list, but for those of you who are unfamiliar with me, my name is Neil Wetherbee.  I've been teaching at UPA – Ellen Thompson since the building opened in the fall of 2005.  I do, however, have a new classroom for the first time.  I have a strong belief in using real life problems and projects to help with student learning.  My projects usually involve technology, and they quite often take on a life of their own with all students' questions and interests guiding the way.

By the time you receive this letter, I'll be back at school full time.  This year we are hoping to conduct reading assessments and learning team meetings before the school year begins.  Meet the Teacher Day is scheduled for August 25th from 9:00-3:00 (with a short break for lunch).  I would love to see as many of you as possible on that day.  It will really make our school year go more smoothly.  I'm sure I will have other times to meet over the next couple of weeks, but I'm not sure when they'll be at the moment.  I'll put information up on the class blog at www.mrwetherbee.blogspot.com .  You can always contact me by calling the school at 313-874-9800 or through email at twetherbee@uprep.com .  If you use email, which I hope all of you do, please send me an email so I can add your address to my parent contact list.

As I said before, I am so excited about this year.  I've thought and dreamed about this upcoming school year more than any other year before.  I hope everyone reading this letter is as excited as I am.  We have a ton to accomplish this year, and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment