Friday, August 30, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to the new University Prep Academy - Ellen Thompson technology class blog.  Over the course of the year, there will be posts from me, Mr. Wetherbee, and from students throughout the school.  I look forward to an exciting year.  Our first big project is going to be portfolio creation.  You can check out our portfolios at http://uprepETportfolios.wikispaces.com/.  Below is the welcome back newsletter from the AMPT teachers:


A.M.P.T.

Art
Music
Physical Education
Technology

Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year here at UPA Ellen Thompson!

The AMPT program is designed to amplify students’ learning experiences. We aim not to be a special class or a privilege, but an essential piece of the students’ collective educational experience. Read below to see who the AMPT teachers are and what is in store for this exciting school year.

ART

My name is Danielle Karle, and I am so excited to be starting my 6th year as your student’s visual art teacher. I am a highly qualified teacher receiving my BFA from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, my MTTC from CCS, and I am now working on my masters in Art Education from Wayne State University.

This year in the art room we will be covering it all! From cutting and gluing to more advanced works of mixing colors and 3D wood sculptures all while achieving the Michigan Visual Art Standards for each grade and having fun!

Danielle Seikaly
Dseikaly@uprep.com



MUSIC

My name is David Permut. I am pleased to be back this year as the music teacher of Ellen Thompson Elementary.  I am a graduate of Michigan State University with a degree in music education.  Over the past five years, I am fortunate enough to have had experience teaching students from a wide variety of cultures, and backgrounds.  I am excited to start the year in order to continue learning music with all the students.  I saw so much growth from so many students last year.  I look forward to continuing the progress as well as implementing some new musical activities that I believe the students will love.

Through various musical activities this year including singing, playing instruments, composing, improvising, listening, and moving, students will learn to perform, create, and evaluate music.  All this is done with the goal that each student will become a life-long musical learner.  Students will also be given an opportunity to share what they have learned with their family and friends through a variety of musical performances throughout the year.

I look forward to seeing many new faces this year along with many of the familiar ones that have made this school such a special place in years past.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me either by email or phone.

Mr. David Permut
School Phone Ext. 2223
dpermut@uprep.com



PHYSICAL EDUCATION
 - not gym - 

I am looking forward to having your child in the gym learning physical education. The majority of class time will be spent on skill development activities, fitness, and game related activities. Students will work to improve their PERSONAL fitness levels, strengthen fundamental motor skills, and use sport related social skills such as cooperation, fair play, and dealing with winning and losing.

I am a highly qualified teacher who is certified in physical and dance education. I received my Bachelor’s of Science in Dance and Physical Education and Masters’ of Art degree in athletic administration. Both of which were from Wayne State University.

In order for students to benefit from the lessons and to ensure everyone’s safety, I am asking that you and your child work together in following these guidelines for participation in physical education:
  • Make sure they have proper fitting athletic footwear.
  • If your child needs to sit out due to injury or sickness, please notify me in writing explaining why.
  • If your child has any limitations or aspects of their health that I should be aware of, please let me know in written form.
  • Feel free to contact me by email or my personal cell phone, as I do not have a phone extension here at the school.
Looking forward to “having a ball” this school year!
Shara ”Coach” Marbry
smarbry@uprep.com
313-399-1518



TECHNOLOGY

Hi.  My name is Neil Wetherbee, and I’m the new technology teacher.  You might know me from being a fourth and fifth grade teacher here at Ellen Thompson for the last eight years.  Or, you may know me as the guy calling cars at dismissal last year.  You won’t see me out in the street with a walkie-talkie this year, but I’m still here.

I am a highly qualified teacher with a computer sciences endorsement.  I earned my B.A. and teaching certificate from the University of Michigan and my M.A. Ed Tech. from Michigan State University.  I am super excited about my new role this year.  We’ll be creating and collaborating all year.  Keep your eyes open for our upcoming digital portfolios.

Neil Wetherbee
twetherbee@uprep.com





No comments:

Post a Comment